The Programme consists of 3 one-week sessions, spread over an eight-month period (150 hours):
Session 1: Development - 50 hours – March.
The first session focuses on analyzing the projects of the participants, in terms of script and development, in order to consolidate the overall coherence of each project. Individual meetings with experts accompany this group work. During this session, the film directors may take part to the individual meetings together with their producers. The plenary assemblies cover issues such as intellectual property, acquisition of rights and development funding sources.
Session 2: Coproduction, Financing & Packaging - 50 hours – June.
During this session, the participants finalize the packaging of their projects and focuse on:
- Budgeting: definition of artistic ambitions of the project and its production mode;
- Financing: identification of the diverse partners capable of co-financing, on a national and international level;
- Packaging: preparation of the dossier in terms of creative, technical, legal and financial aspects;
- Co-producing: to reach different agreements and contracts that are compatible with each other.
The participants also work on the production of trailers. A debate is organized with distributors, on the changing trends of the documentary film market, the festival’s circuit, theatrical distribution, Internet, new modes of consumption and emerging markets.
Session 3: Meetings with Experts - 50 hours – October.
The third session is mainly dedicated to the ‘one-to-one’ meetings with the Experts. During three days, individual meeting of 45 minutes each are organized for each participant with the more pertinent experts for their project attending the session. The one-to-one are intensively prepared during the first two days of the session.
The plenary focus on company management and on the situation of the international documentary film market. All the decision-makers invited present the editorial lines and eventually the financial capacities of their channels.
- Group work: 2 groups of maximum 13 producers and 2 participants from documentary departments of TV channels and Funds are established.
- Expert assessment: in each session, experts hold individual meetings with each participant in order to analyze their projects: during the first session, the scripts are treated, during the second session the budget and the production strategy. During the last session, over 400 individual meetings are organized between the participants and the experts invited (around 20/25 between commissioning editors, distributors, sales agents, film funds representatives, festival programmers and curators, producers and filmmakers)
- Plenaries: general topics are treated: author’s rights, financing schemes, production, co-production, pitching, company management, distribution and sales, etc.
- Case studies: at each session, particularly relevant co-productions are analyzed in depth, including films produced by past Eurodoc participants. The screening of the film is followed by a debate with the producer(s) and the main financiers of the film.
Languages spoken: two working groups are etablished, one English-speaking and one French-speaking.